A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Down with This Sort of Thing!
Down with This Sort of Thing!  [message #64934] Thu, 18 November 2010 20:35
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Did you hear the one about the city council who pulled the brothel down? - It had large cracks in it.

It really did - this happened last night in Auckland, New Zealand. Honestly! You couldn't make this stuff up. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4360666/Aucklands-historic-Palace-building-demolished

My favourite part was where "A member of the public spotted the cracks in the Palace Hotel, some up to a metre long." (chortles).

Anyway, it got me thinking. Prostitution has only been legal in New Zealand for less than 10 years. It was introduced by the last government and was pushed through despite huge controversy and protest, especially from the religious right, (there's a surprise!) Now, already, it's just an accepted part of life, the friendly neighbourhood brothel is there, alongside the churches, and no-one thinks much about it, which is as it should be.

Legalising Homosexual relations, also introduced despite the opposition, happened about twice as long ago, (I can't be bothered looking the dates up). It's not as widely accepted as prostitution, but we're getting there. The Christian Taliban have not got a hold on NZ yet, i hope they never do!

As ever, the best defence is to laugh at them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT9xuXQjxMM ("Embedding disabled by request" - funnily enough).

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Previous Topic: This adds a new meaning to "A Brazilian"
Next Topic: Of puppies and dogs
Goto Forum: