A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may
Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may  [message #65339] Sat, 12 February 2011 00:32 Go to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

I've just had a sobering experience.

Years ago, more years than i care to think about, there was a boy - B. His father was a drunk, my father was a drunk. It was a small town and they worked and drank together. They're buried side by side.

B. and I were friends, not close but friends, 2 kids in a crowd. We left school and worked in the same place. We worked and played together, one thing led to another and we had a short-lived sexual relationship of sorts.

There was no emotional attachment, we were just 16 year old friends experimenting and enjoying each other. It didn't last, we were both just 'the bush in the hand' to each other. B. was not who i wished he was and i was not what he wanted either.

He already had a girlfriend, they married and had a family. Their eldest son was named K. They lived 80k, (50 miles), away. I haven't spoken to them for years and really must do something about that.

Today i went for a walk, along the beach and up on to the rockwall near the rivermouth. I climbed up there and saw a long line of cars and hundreds of people standing on the tiphead at the other side of the river.

I stood looking and wondering what they were all doing over there, and then the speakers carried someone's voice across the river - it was a funeral/memorial service for one of the 29 miners killed in the Pike River Mine Disaster, a couple of months ago. It was a funeral for B's son, K.

I'm at home now, obviously, and i can still hear it going on. Makes you think. Life is precious and can be all-too-short. Make the most of it and 'Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may'.

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may  [message #65340 is a reply to message #65339] Sat, 12 February 2011 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Hugs you.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may  [message #65342 is a reply to message #65340] Sat, 12 February 2011 06:19 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

With you.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: Does having sex require intelligence?
Next Topic: So much for Christian ideals...
Goto Forum: