A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > To Our Kids- We Love You The Way You Are
icon4.gif To Our Kids- We Love You The Way You Are  [message #65973] Sat, 16 July 2011 00:27
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque | SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA -- In the tragic aftermath of the widely publicised multiple suicide deaths by LGBTQ young persons in late 2010, many of those deaths the result of anti-gay bullying, Seattle based columnist and queer activist Dan Savage along with his husband founded the "It Gets Better Project." The principle thrust & focus was producing videos for a special YouTube channel that sent messages of hope and reassurance to struggling LGBTQ youth that life does indeed get better and most of all, was worth living.

Celebrities, politicians, including the President of the United States Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron, added their voices to the legions of everyday people who made It Gets Better videos, turning Savage's simple heartfelt idea into a global campaign to spread that message of hope.

While the ocean of the thousands of videos expressed the promise of better times and circumstances, as Savage himself pointed out during an interview with MSNBC, one of the largest issues that needed addressing was the lack of acceptance and even violence that queer youth and young adults faced in their own families. Many times being left homeless after parents threw them out because of their being queer.

Not every scenario and circumstance however Savage acknowledged had a set or a single parent that was not accepting of their children. The larger question of what about those parents has now been answered as a San Diego couple gives those parents that are accepting a voice in the national conversation about LGBTQ persons.

This past May, San Diego based Public Relations and Communications executive Patrick Wallace, with partner, University of California San Diego Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Michael Volpat, launched the website, A Note to My Kid, as a place for parents to proudly share memories, thoughts, worries, and — ultimately — love for their LGBT children.

“The love and support of our parents has been a treasured blessing in our lives,” says Wallace. “But many people we’ve been fortunate enough to meet throughout our lives have not been so lucky. We’ve heard stories firsthand of LGBT youth being ridiculed, disowned. and physically beaten for being gay.”

Wallace wants A Note to My Kid to help parents learn “how to express his or her love.”

As word spreads- the letters fly in and many of them are poignant, funny, and most of all filled with that special and unconditional love for one's child which is the true backbone of humanity.
Read more on the 'A Note to My Kid' website; [Link] http://www.anotetomykid.com/a-note-to-my-kid/
Previous Topic: I don't care for him, however? Watch for yourselves & decide
Next Topic: Insanity and Christian thought...
Goto Forum: