A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Catholic Church debate with Stephen Fry
 () 1 Vote
Catholic Church debate with Stephen Fry  [message #66691] Fri, 30 March 2012 19:31 Go to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

In 2009 IQ2 (Intelligence Squared) held a debate with the motion "The Catholic Church Is A Force For Good In The world." For the motion were Archbishop John Onaiyekan and Ann Widdecombe. Against were Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry.

I admit I haven't yet watched the entire debate, but I urge you to watch Stephen Fry. His speech has been spilt into two ten minute pieces which are on you tube.

Stephen Fry Part I

Stephen Fry Part II

IQ2's site is here

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Re: Catholic Church debate with Stephen Fry  [message #66692 is a reply to message #66691] Fri, 30 March 2012 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Mr Fry does an excellent job. Of course the devout adherent of that sect will not understand. Note Ms Widdicome (Wonder if I;ve spelt the self righteous cow right, and the I wonder if I care) shakes her head in disbelief.Shocked

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Catholic Church debate with Stephen Fry  [message #66693 is a reply to message #66691] Sat, 31 March 2012 00:05 Go to previous message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

Those videos are getting old but still well worth a look. Anything by Stephen Fry is worth a watch - he's a brilliant man. He's currently here in New Zealand, filming the Hobbit. If he's as intelligent as i think he is, he might stay here! (well, we can dream).

cheers
Previous Topic: Santorum!
Next Topic: Homosexuality and the Turkish Army
Goto Forum: