A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Things might be a tad quicker
icon11.gif Things might be a tad quicker  [message #66736] Tue, 17 April 2012 23:27 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We just moved host. With luck you never even noticed. We spent almost four years with our last provider, but the machine was getting old and they don't do that class of server any more. We had a lot of things to migrate. We run the sites that pay for this one from the server, too.

Of course this forum is far faster than the last one anyway, but it all ought to work like a rocket.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 April 2012 23:28]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Things might be a tad quicker  [message #66737 is a reply to message #66736] Thu, 19 April 2012 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Much quicker, most of the time.

However, there have been three or four times I just haven't been able to get onto the forum at all: my browser stays waiting for ajax.googleapis.com until I give up on it. 

As it only happens irregularly, I assume it's just to do with the way google analytics or whatever interacts here, rather than because I have such things blocked (through Do Not Track: I have deep objections to anyone following my progress from site to site so they can pester me with targeted adverts, or indeed for any other reason).

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Things might be a tad quicker  [message #66739 is a reply to message #66737] Thu, 19 April 2012 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

What browser do you use?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Things might be a tad quicker  [message #66742 is a reply to message #66739] Sat, 21 April 2012 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Firefox (current version), with AdBlock and DoNotTrack add-ons.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Things might be a tad quicker  [message #66743 is a reply to message #66742] Sat, 21 April 2012 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I suspect it may be the add ins that trigger the hanging sometimes?

We checked out Analytics and made the decision that it keeps everything anonymous. Browsers themselves are the worst culprits in removing anonymity. They deliver a huge payload of information to logs on all web sites visited. Analytics is just a convenient means of looking at traffic form a webmaster's perspective. Analysing the visit logs gives a huge swathe of information to anyone who cares to do it. That was "the old way" before cookie based analytics.

I don't disagree with your choice not to be tracked or advertised to. I'm just making a comment about the underlying technologies.

Re: Things might be a tad quicker  [message #66744 is a reply to message #66743] Sat, 21 April 2012 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I think you're probably right. Oh well, if I choose to make life difficult for datasnoops and others who want to make money out of recording my internet habits, I suppose it's fair enough that it occasionally makes life difficult for me!

Re: Things might be a tad quicker  [message #66745 is a reply to message #66744] Sat, 21 April 2012 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You could make life truly hard for folk by using TOR, though it has drawbacks in doing things such as editing Wikipedia, where it is barred. It slows browsing to a snail's pace, though.

Re: Things might be a tad quicker  [message #66747 is a reply to message #66745] Sun, 22 April 2012 01:41 Go to previous message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

TOR is brilliant, but unless you need that level of anonymity it's much too slow to be practical.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Previous Topic: You'll Never Really Know...
Next Topic: Bullying by Proxy
Goto Forum: