A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Wandervogel, by Solsticeman
Wandervogel, by Solsticeman  [message #68048] Tue, 15 October 2013 13:46 Go to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

There is something highly intriguing about this story, which is set in 1980s England and in Germany before and during World War 2.

http://iomfats.org/storyshelf/hosted/solsticeman/wandervogel /01.html

I have reached Chapter 6 and the hero-narrator Paul, after discovering he is gay, has formed a close friendship with Ben, a Jewish boy of the same age. Ben's father grew up in Germany but survived the Holocaust, while Paul's father - according to evidence uncovered by Paul, seems to have served in the Hitler Youth and even in the SS. Paul and Ben decide to go to Germany to research the history of their respective families. 

The author has given us some very interesting clues so far but how will things turn out? Will Paul and Ben make exciting discoveries? Will we see exactly what Paul's father did during the War? Will the two families be linked in some way?  

As I said, it is highly intriguing - and beautifully written.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 December 2013 18:50] by Moderator

Jolyon
Re: Wandervogel, by Solsticeman  [message #68049 is a reply to message #68048] Tue, 15 October 2013 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Most definitely intriguing. At this stage I suspect it will be hard to second guess where it is heading. I've been looking forward to this one arriving at the head of the queue.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Wandervogel, by Solsticeman  [message #68106 is a reply to message #68049] Tue, 12 November 2013 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

Now that we've reached Parts 13 and 14 I feel I must write again in praise of this gripping story.

Hansi is now living in Italy, which is still very much hand-in-hand with Germany but the Allies are massing in the Mediterranean and the writing is on the wall for Mussolini. In Part 13 we have one of the most erotic scenes I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Sleeping compartments in trains will never be the same. In Part 14 Hansi discovers more sex, this time in Rome but then his life is dealt a terrible blow - it makes for heartbreaking reading.

I sense the next few chapters will bring more joy and sorrow for Hansi - and mortal danger too.

Jolyon
Re: Wandervogel, by Solsticeman  [message #68120 is a reply to message #68106] Thu, 14 November 2013 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

Thank you Jolyon and Timmy.

Hansi does indeed have a very confused and perilous future. If you know anything about this period of World War too then I only need to say that Hansi and his family live in Hamburg... boys his age had to replace the men who were away at war... the Americans are coming by day and the British by night. But, love too is out there, but love comes in many forms.

All I can promise is a very bumpy ride.
Re: Wandervogel, by Solsticeman  [message #68203 is a reply to message #68120] Fri, 20 December 2013 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jolyon Lewes

Toe is in the water

Well, what a story! It's as exciting an adventure story as I've read for two years or more - from any source. Young Hansi is a true hero, coping with months of fear, hunger and mortal danger, interspersed with many moments of sheer terror. He is both brave and compassionate and he possesses a sense of justice way beyond his years. He's a fine example of a boy caught up in a ghastly war who has to grow up very quickly indeed. Happily, he does have a few intimate moments, notably in a sleeper compartment in a night train to Italy and later in much less salubrious surroundings in war-ravaged Germany.

Solsticeman has done an enormous amount of research for his story and even when Hansi becomes involved with individuals at the very top of the Third Reich the plot seems realistic and eminently feasible, as well as being extremely tense.

I have downloaded Wandervogel for posterity. I am certain to want to read it again in a year or two, once I have completed research of my own, prompted by aspects of World War 2 that had been unknown to me until I read this excellent story.

You don't, of course, have to take it as seriously as I've done. If you are after a tale of teenage love and loss in a most unusual setting this is for you.

Jolyon
Re: Wandervogel, by Solsticeman  [message #68204 is a reply to message #68203] Fri, 20 December 2013 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

One of the most powerful stories I have read for a long time. It creeps up on you and then hits you over the head with a wave of emotion.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Wandervogel, by Solsticeman  [message #68260 is a reply to message #68048] Tue, 14 January 2014 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitzyma is currently offline  Kitzyma

Likes it here

I started reading this story yesterday morning and finished it this morning.
The plot and  main characters quickly drew me in and I had to tear myself away in order to carry out the necessities of daily life. Reading the story was an emotional roller-coaster experience and if you haven't read it already then I recommend that you do so.

I like this story a lot.
Actually I've enjoyed everything that Solsticeman has posted in the story shelf. So go and read his stories!
Re: Wandervogel, by Solsticeman  [message #68261 is a reply to message #68260] Tue, 14 January 2014 12:04 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

When the author submitted it to me I told him that I would be unable to read certain parts of it. My personal history and it overlap in difficult ways. Luckily he was able to give me a simple synopsis of that part. I was able to read up to and then beyond that element with impunity. It is an excellent tale.

Previous Topic: The Circle rolls on
Next Topic: A Little Diddy about Jack and Duran
Goto Forum: