A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy
Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68490] Sun, 18 May 2014 09:46 Go to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

Revival is a remarkable story, beautifully written, by an author I've never read before. I'm much looking forward to reading more of his work. Read it, do!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68491 is a reply to message #68490] Sun, 18 May 2014 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marius is currently offline  Marius

Getting started

I thought the characters and setting were very well done - a corner of the US I know nothing about.  I really enjoyed reading this.

I noticed that the author has a few more stories posted to Nifty, but they perhaps would not be appropriate for this site.
Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68492 is a reply to message #68490] Mon, 19 May 2014 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

I agree with both Camy and Marius. This is an exceptional story. I grew up in a Welsh mining village during the 1950s, the period when Britain had bankrupted itself with WW2. Poverty of the level he describes can be very real. Well done Seth.
Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68493 is a reply to message #68491] Mon, 19 May 2014 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solsticeman is currently offline  solsticeman

Likes it here

I agree that Seth's stories on Nifty might not be so suitable for this site, BUT that's not a criticism. Iomfats stories generally deal with the joys and perils of adolescence and the ones on NIfty that I have just sampled deal with older ones (a returning injured hero from Afghanistan, for example). Within that genre his writing is equally exceptional... he even makes a Scottish barkeeper's impenetrable accent a joy to read. So stretch your taste in literature that far, give them a go. You will be pleasantly surprised.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 May 2014 07:25]

Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68494 is a reply to message #68491] Mon, 19 May 2014 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Marius wrote on Sun, 18 May 2014 17:14"
I thought the characters and setting were very well done - a corner of the US I know nothing about.  I really enjoyed reading this.

I noticed that the author has a few more stories posted to Nifty, but they perhaps would not be appropriate for this site.

--I can't remember which tales Seth has submitted to me, nor which I have accepted, but please feel totally at liberty to suggest he chooses stories from his portfolio that he feels would be suitable and to send them to meto see if they fit here. In any case do draw his attention to this thread. I'm sure he will be very pleased to see your (plural) praise. He has mine anyway.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68655 is a reply to message #68490] Fri, 17 October 2014 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seth Kirkcauldy is currently offline  Seth Kirkcauldy

Getting started

This site and thread were recently called to my attention.  What a nice surprise.  I'm glad the story was enjoyed, and appreciate that you took time out to call it to the attention of others.  I believe Timmy ran across this story on Nifty and wondered if he could host it here; and I'm glad that I agreed.  This is a beautiful community of storytellers and readers that you've created here; I've had a look around and am quite impressed.  I have undertaken a task of dubious value:  to post a story to each of the gay sections on Nifty.  In the course of doing this, I'll be sure to let Timmy know if any of the submissions might be a good fit for this site.  The whole nature of the challenge is to stretch my writing where I would not normally go, so some submissions may fit, and others most certainly would not.  Some of the categories have me pulling my hair out (an abundant albeit grey resource), as they hold no personal interest for me whatsoever.  If you undertake the challenge posed by solsticeman to read my work in that darker and grittier neighbor on the net, i hope you approach it with an understanding of the underlying challenge.  But most of all, I hope you enjoy it.  Again, my thanks for the kind words I found here.  I'm glad my story settled upon such a beautiful bookshelf.
Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68656 is a reply to message #68655] Fri, 17 October 2014 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Seth "
This site and thread were recently called to my attention.  What a nice surprise.  I'm glad the story was enjoyed, and appreciate that you took time out to call it to the attention of others.  I believe Timmy ran across this story on Nifty and wondered if he could host it here; and I'm glad that I agreed.  This is a beautiful community of storytellers and readers that you've created here; I've had a look around and am quite impressed.  I have undertaken a task of dubious value:  to post a story to each of the gay sections on Nifty.  In the course of doing this, I'll be sure to let Timmy know if any of the submissions might be a good fit for this site.  The whole nature of the challenge is to stretch my writing where I would not normally go, so some submissions may fit, and others most certainly would not.  Some of the categories have me pulling my hair out (an abundant albeit grey resource), as they hold no personal interest for me whatsoever.  If you undertake the challenge posed by solsticeman to read my work in that darker and grittier neighbor on the net, i hope you approach it with an understanding of the underlying challenge.  But most of all, I hope you enjoy it.  Again, my thanks for the kind words I found here.  I'm glad my story settled upon such a beautiful bookshelf.

--
I have no idea how you will write a decent tale about poop! And how about the lesbian sections? And most of the trans tales are somehow weird fantasies about what being trans might be like. Please do that section real justice.

I think I found you on Nifty and enjoyed the tale. I've enjoyed reading some of those we can't take here, too. Not foind them all, I imagine.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68657 is a reply to message #68656] Fri, 17 October 2014 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seth Kirkcauldy is currently offline  Seth Kirkcauldy

Getting started

And now you know why I am pulling my hair out.  Your comment makes me wonder if Bernardo Bertolucci was on a Nifty challenge of his own when he wrote that very odd scene in The Last Emperor.
Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68658 is a reply to message #68657] Fri, 17 October 2014 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Seth "
And now you know why I am pulling my hair out.  Your comment makes me wonder if Bernardo Bertolucci was on a Nifty challenge of his own when he wrote that very odd scene in The Last Emperor.

--
Some of those sections always strike me as odd anyway. "Incest" for example. Who cares? It's not like we can breed a mutant! I never had a brother, so I have no idea if I'd have wanted him, but who cares?

Not seen The Last Emperor, so feel free to describe it! The Last Emperor goves very little away.

Re: Revival, by Seth Kirkcauldy  [message #68672 is a reply to message #68658] Tue, 28 October 2014 15:23 Go to previous message
Josh is currently offline  Josh

On fire!

Wow....
That was so sad...
I mean, the sad part, was sad.
It was beautiful though. I really enjoyed it.
Thanks for sharing it.

~Josh~
Previous Topic: "He's a very naughty boy"
Next Topic: Assassin's Apprentice series
Goto Forum: