A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > South Africa Finally Ends Gay Blood Donations BAN
icon5.gif South Africa Finally Ends Gay Blood Donations BAN  [message #68495] Wed, 21 May 2014 10:21 Go to next message
Michael-Kent Dobison is currently offline  Michael-Kent Dobison

Likes it here

In a victory for fairness and equality, sexually active gay men are now finally allowed to donate blood in South Africa. "

http://www.mambaonline.com/2014/05/20/sas-gay-blood-donation -ban-finally-ends/

I am quite curious to know if there are or have been similar restrictions on Body Fluid Donations (Blood, Plasma, Sperm and the likes of) in your home countries..?

Looking Forward to hearing back from you all Smile

MIKE

"And so the lion fell in love with the Lamb"
"What a stupid Lamb"
"What a sick, masochistic lion"
Re: South Africa Finally Ends Gay Blood Donations BAN  [message #68496 is a reply to message #68495] Wed, 21 May 2014 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

Canada, almost since the naming of the AIDS-virus in the early 1980's, has restricted donation of tissue and fluids by "declared" homosexual persons.  It has only been the past year or so that these restrictions have been under review.

The initial ban was driven by an unfortunate tainted blood scandal at the Canadian Red Cross and it's (then) Blood Donor Service which left hundreds (if not thousands) of Canadian recipient of blood products exposed to HIV.  I can't recall if, in these circumstances, a direct causal link between the tainted blood products and one's acquiring HIV has never been proved.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Wed, 21 May 2014 19:18]

Re: South Africa Finally Ends Gay Blood Donations BAN  [message #68497 is a reply to message #68495] Wed, 21 May 2014 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marius is currently offline  Marius

Getting started

In the US the ban has been in effect since 1983 - it is a lifetime ban for any man who has had sex with another man any time after 1977.  There have been attempts to ease the ban, but the government has stood firm.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/15/gay-blood-donors-ba n_n_3932001.html
Re: South Africa Finally Ends Gay Blood Donations BAN  [message #68498 is a reply to message #68495] Thu, 22 May 2014 06:30 Go to previous message
Michael-Kent Dobison is currently offline  Michael-Kent Dobison

Likes it here

WoW - I'm quite amazed to hear that neighbours USA & Canada still have these strict Bans in place considering the past years progress in the LGBT rights movement (mostly globally and at least in the Western World & Associates)... However, having said that - I think that the reconsideration of the ban in South Africa was more simply driven by the fact that our national blood reserves are so limited and thinly stretched we really could run out completely within a few weeks of heavy use.

But interesting all the same Smile Thanks Guys Smile

"And so the lion fell in love with the Lamb"
"What a stupid Lamb"
"What a sick, masochistic lion"
Previous Topic: That Evil Little Voice in My Head
Next Topic: "The Transgender Tipping Point" Time Mag's 1st Transgender Cover Lady :)
Goto Forum: