A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Flags
Flags  [message #69712] Thu, 28 May 2015 22:08 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

These are geolocated by the IP address of your internet point of presence at the time you make a post. Your ISP determines where that is. There is no option to vary that at this end. It's there for fun and frolics.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Flags  [message #69739 is a reply to message #69712] Tue, 02 June 2015 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Deverill is currently offline  Nick Deverill

Toe is in the water

Now here's a thing, I wonder where it'll think I am. In the UK, or in the USA as this is via a proxy server?

And ta da, it's got me in the USA. In that case, weird tour of proxies coming on! (But only when I've got something to say).

[Updated on: Tue, 02 June 2015 15:12]

Re: Flags  [message #69740 is a reply to message #69739] Tue, 02 June 2015 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick "
Now here's a thing, I wonder where it'll think I am. In the UK, or in the USA as this is via a proxy server?

And ta da, it's got me in the USA. In that case, weird tour of proxies coming on! (But only when I've got something to say).

--
Hahahahaha Maybe you could start a flag collection race!

There are a number of hostile proxy servers that we block.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Flags  [message #69746 is a reply to message #69739] Thu, 04 June 2015 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

"Nick "

--

Funny thing is, Nick, over in the "Epilogue" thread it does have the Union Jack instead of the Stars and Stripes next to your name in your post.  Weird.

And for me, while the forum does have the correct flag for me, it has different post times for me, several hours ahead of what my local time actually is (for example, I just posted a pic in the "Total Inspiration" thread on Wednesday at 6:14 pm local time, yet the forum has it time stamped as having been posted on Thursday at 12:14 am).
Re: Flags  [message #69748 is a reply to message #69746] Thu, 04 June 2015 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

Probably the server time which is, I believe, Greenwich time?
Re: Flags  [message #69749 is a reply to message #69748] Thu, 04 June 2015 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The forum time is set for UTC. There may be a setting in your profile to decide what time you see. When I post, in the UK, I see the current time. Thus my profile (perhaps the forum) allows for summer time.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 June 2015 07:54]

Re: Flags  [message #69761 is a reply to message #69749] Sat, 06 June 2015 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark

Likes it here

Quote:
timmy wrote on Thu, 04 June 2015 01:53The forum time is set for UTC. There may be a setting in your profile to decide what time you see. When I post, in the UK, I see the current time. Thus my profile (perhaps the forum) allows for summer time.

--

I did eventually find the specific setting for that after a bit of exploring in the Control Panel link.  Now, if only we could figure out how to fix the flags that easily...
Re: Flags  [message #69772 is a reply to message #69746] Sat, 06 June 2015 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

"Mark wrote on Thu, 04 June 2015 00:21"
Funny thing is, Nick, over in the "Epilogue" thread it does have the Union Jack instead of the Stars and Stripes next to your name in your post.  Weird.

Not really, the post with the stars and stripes was made using a proxy server in the USA. I'm actually in the UK so the Union Jack is correct, anything else is me messing!
Re: Flags  [message #69773 is a reply to message #69772] Sat, 06 June 2015 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Like this, I've just shot over to Germany (I get about...).
Re: Flags  [message #69774 is a reply to message #69772] Sat, 06 June 2015 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Nick "

"Mark wrote on Thu, 04 June 2015 00:21"

Not really, the post with the stars and stripes was made using a proxy server in the USA. I'm actually in the UK so the Union Jack is correct, anything else is me messing!

--
The "Union Jack" is only correct when flown at the jack staff of one of Her Majesty's ships!

Here, it is the Union Flag. 

[Updated on: Sat, 06 June 2015 18:44]

Re: Flags  [message #69775 is a reply to message #69774] Sat, 06 June 2015 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sat, 06 June 2015 18:44
The "Union Jack" is only correct when flown at the jack staff of one of Her Majesty's ships!

Here, it is the Union Flag. 

In the voice of Julian or Sandy, "get him!" Language is a somewhat fluid thing, and the argument about the Union Jack only being so called when flown from the jack staff of a navy ship is a relatively new thing. See this page:
http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack -or-the-union-flag/
Not really that clear cut.

Wink
Re: Flags  [message #69776 is a reply to message #69775] Sun, 07 June 2015 00:32 Go to previous message
ChrisR is currently offline  ChrisR

Likes it here

And just to make it more fun, the US has a Union Jack flown on the jackstaff of non-US Navy ships (i.e. Coast Guard, vessels in competition, etc.) It is a dark blue field with 50 stars.

The US Navy did fly that same Union Jack until after 9/11 when it reverted to the "Don't Tread on Me" flag showing the 13 red and white stripes, a rattlesnake slithering across, and those same words of warning. That one dates back to the Revolutionary War when the colonies expressed their dissatisfaction with Geo III.

I wonder... is it just coincidence that it returned during the presidency of George W. Bush -- who happened to be our Geo III ?
Previous Topic: A cock and balls story
Next Topic: Sex: When is it sex, when is it abuse?
Goto Forum: