A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Capital Punishment
Capital Punishment  [message #71044] Tue, 09 February 2016 00:08 Go to next message
James Matthews is currently offline  James Matthews

Toe is in the water

Is it right?

For the record, I am very pro CP, Two questions might up up at this point... Why? and, in what scenario?

The why is easy for me and I make two arguments. The first is that in the UK it costs £40000 per year to hold a prisoner in jail for a crime they have committed. Obviously the more heinous the crime the longer the term, and so the more it costs. On average the punishment for child murder in the UK is 36 years. Not only has that someone taken a life of an innocent child it is now going to cost the tax payer over £1.4m to keep them locked up. Where as a few kilowatts of electricity is pennies. Ok, ok, so you will get people that will argue that innocent people have gone to prison only to be later released. However in today's world of DNA and forensics, if we can be totally sure that a person did do something of unforgivable magnitude then why keep them alive? You will also get arguments from Liberals and Lefties that everyone deserves a 2nd chance at reforming themselves. In most cases this is true. The bank robber for instance can be forgiven for being desperate for money. The fraudster could be forgiven for being greedy and the drunk driver could be forgiven for being careless and stupid. These are just to name a few, and no, I do not think a person should be fried in a chair for the above mentioned. However, when we get into the extremes... Where someone has an "ideology" that taking another's life (on purpose) is right or justified then we must look to our own conscience and ask - Is this person a value to society. In all instances this has to be no, right?

People who commit horrific crimes suffer from this delusion that they have reformed or they are sorry they did what they did. Many will turn to the guy in the sky when trying out this exercise of remorse. To me remorse is a byproduct of being found out. Did you ever do something as a kid with your friends that you knew was wrong and felt confident and cocky about it until you got found out? Then when you did you cried you were sorry to mummy and said you would never do it again, and then when her back was turned you did? Remorse - It's a human delusion made up of a concoction of embarrassment and self pity.

My second argument is deciding in which scenario would I put a person to death? MY answer is simple and please read the next sentence carefully before forming an opinion. What gives me the right to take away another person's life through malice, and then have the right to keep my own? Ask yourself that question. It's hard to justify anything other than "I don't" right? Exactly. So in this instance if I am found guilty by a jury of my peers and there is overwhelming supporting evidence to back up that Jury, then I should expect the consequences of a death sentence. 

That's why I am Pro CP, and arguments against are welcome. 

[Updated on: Tue, 09 February 2016 00:14] by Moderator

Re: Capital Punishment  [message #71048 is a reply to message #71044] Tue, 09 February 2016 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

No arument here.
Here's a perfect case for it. He even admitted to doing it.
http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/10yearold-raped-by-iraqi -migrant-at-swimming-pool-in-vienna/news-story/69abed188e157 e2f425d8c204fa50f17

He claims it was from lack of sex with his wife whom he left behind with their child in Iraq. So what was he doing in Austria as a 'war refugee' without them? He left to get away from the war, but leaves his wife and child to suffer? And four months later, rapes a 10 year-old boy in a public pool stall.
If he can't be put to death, then I'd settle for life-time incarceration, emasculation, castration, and isolation.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 February 2016 08:31]

raysstories.com
Re: Capital Punishment  [message #71049 is a reply to message #71044] Tue, 09 February 2016 09:50 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have difficulty with it, though am for it emotionally.

Intellectually I place myself in the position of one who has been convicted and is genuinely innocent. Wrongful execution is, to me, more abhorrent than the crime for which they were sentenced. Thus, if there is even the slightest doubt about the guilt I am more than cautious.

By contrast, if they are caught in the act, 'with smoking gun', and are convicted, then I see no issue in disposing of them by execution.

With, for example, Richard Reid I would have been content to replace his shoe, tie him to a stake, and light the fuse for him. I would have had no qualms about lighting the fuse myself.

I am also interested in the crime passionel scenario.

As usual, nothing is as black and as white as it appears at first.

So, you may put me down as cautiously in favour, with conditions.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 February 2016 11:12]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Unconscious bigotry
Next Topic: The body is not disgusting
Goto Forum: