A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > Literary Merit > Lost Inside My Life
Lost Inside My Life  [message #77651] Fri, 19 March 2021 09:17 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The story has just concluded. Lenny Bruce asked me to serialise it on Fridays, one chapter per week. It's a bitter sweet tale...

[Updated on: Sat, 20 March 2021 08:55]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Lost Inside My Life  [message #77653 is a reply to message #77651] Sat, 20 March 2021 05:48 Go to previous message
Talo Segura is currently offline  Talo Segura

Likes it here

The original title of this book is Altri Viaggi, which translates as Other Trips and the author adopted Life Is A Journey as the working title, because it better described the content. Finally, changed to Lost Inside My Life, a poetic and worthy title. 

The story tells of a journey through life, the life of Paoletto and Roby. The reader does not discover the narrator's name at the beginning, but it quickly becomes apparent as we listen to his introspection, he is lost. Later, as we follow the story we discover how lost the central character is and to what depths his life plummets.

This is without a doubt a beautiful and melancholic history of a profound love amidst tragedy and disaster in a hostile world. A struggle to overcome, accompanied by desperation, solitude, and the darkness of the soul. Yet, above all, even as it broke my heart I rejoiced in the time spent discovering the life of these two boys for as long as it lasted. Their story is ultimately a triumph, a magnificent joy, which they managed to share while destiny permitted. 

The author's writing was often quite exquisite and provoked emotions and tears. The narrative reflection on life, love, their relationship, and that of those around them, as well as the world as it was in Italy in the seventies, was both absorbing and educational.

Readers' commented: " ...incredible beginning -- sensitive, evocative. Strong character development and storytelling."
"You have succeeded in allowing me to actually feel the emotional rollercoaster here!  Excellent work!"

This story is a Shakespearean Tradgedy, or as close as I've ever found in an online gay themed story. It has all the elements. A tragic hero who is cursed by fate with a flaw, he's gay and loves a younger boy.

There is a struggle between good and evil. However, you look at it, a terrible fight is going on between love, desire, and what is right and good.

This struggle looks likely to lead to a tragic waste. The good risks being destroyed along with the bad, and the bad is only a perception of evil.

The external struggle with what is acceptable to society, friends, and family. The internal struggle our hero is tormented by.
There is catharsis, a lack of poetic justice, things look like ending badly for everyone, including the good guys. Their love touches the spiritual, although there are no ghosts or magic (which Shakespeare was fond of). There is perhaps a little comic relief, at least an occasional light moment. All the ingredients of a Shakespearean tragedy.

After reading this book, I feel I have lived the lives of the protagonists along with them and grown to love both characters, with all their faults and their good points. The consummation of their love for one another was moving, the end devastating, but this was a love affair that was ultimately a triumph!
Previous Topic: Jake's Hand / Jake's Side by R.E.-C. aka vwl
Next Topic: We seem to take some authors for granted
Goto Forum: