A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > RIP Comicality
RIP Comicality  [message #78758] Fri, 19 April 2024 07:17 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I have received messages that my old friend Comicality died peceafully on Tuesday after a long battle with a failing liver. He was surrounded by his family.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
RIP Comicality  [message #78759 is a reply to message #78758] Fri, 19 April 2024 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerome is currently offline  Jerome

Getting started

Tommy,

thank you for sharing Comicality's departure from this world. Your show of respect, associating us, me as a reader-member of Iomfats, is a small tribute to the special friend that made you use and share your writing gift.
I lost my dear and only friend to cancer two years ago and share your own loss.

Thank you for all You, give us, give me through Iomfats, bringing so many wonderfull and inspiring writers to us. Comicality is no doubt proud of it.

With my warmest regards
Jerome from France
Re: RIP Comicality - and others!  [message #78760 is a reply to message #78758] Sun, 21 April 2024 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDII is currently offline  JCDII

Getting started

This is so sad....
I had only emailed Comicality a couple of times about stories, but followed his IMAGINE Magazine every month.
The 'boys' and Jeff Fort are going to try to keep it going - but who could ever even attempt to finish his stories!
https://imagine-magazine.org/

First, Mike Wengert, the AwesomeDude.  https://www.awesomedude.org/
Fortunately, Rutabaga, Alien Son and Cole Parker have updated/kept it going.

Next was Pee Jay at Tickie Stories - http://tickiestories.us/Main.htm   - no backup or replacement there. 
Don't know exactly what happened here.

I think Timmy, you have said that you do have a plan, if anything were to happen.
Lets hope that 2024 gets better....John
Re: RIP Comicality - and others!  [message #78763 is a reply to message #78760] Mon, 22 April 2024 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

"JCDII wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 13:10"

Next was Pee Jay at Tickie Stories - http://tickiestories.us/Main.htm   - no backup or replacement there. 
Don't know exactly what happened here.

--
Most but not all of the Tickie Stories site is archived on the Wayback Machine : sadly, too few story sites allow this kind of external (and free of charge) stuff or have other decent survival / disaster recovery plans. Over the years, we've lost far too many great stories as people have died, or simply lost interest in maintaining smaller sites.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: RIP Comicality - and others!  [message #78780 is a reply to message #78763] Thu, 06 June 2024 22:15 Go to previous message
JeffsFort is currently offline  JeffsFort

Getting started

Hi NW,

It's always been a problem with online sites and communities that should the founder or active Admin responsible pass or become incapacitated that the work simply fades into obscurity unless someone steps in. The hosting community I'm involved with has done that in a few instances where someone has passed away with or without explanation and a site becomes in danger of expiring. We have a couple of sites that have been maintained by us for as long as two decades in one case and never considered that Comsie's work would be added to THAT list Sad But we've had the discussion for our own service as well. "What happens when we're gone?"

The sad truth is this internet is not the one we started out on. People are still people and have always wanted to consume just to occupy their time but when it comes to content creation... not so much. Unless someone steps up and says they want to preserve the past, then no matter how well intended your efforts, you don't always find that one person willing to carry that torch. We have resigned ourselves and our community to that potential fate but, as long as i am allive and able; our history (The good, the bad, and the ugly) are safe right where they are. That includes the three works of Comicality's that we were managing with/for him. IMAGINE Magazine is and always has been very much a group effort. Many of it's readers have expressed concern about it and yes, we are preparing to wake it back up. Odly enough, it is right on the schedule Comsie roughly laid out before his final hospitalization. To give hiself recovery time, he told us to plan for July. June 15th we will be launching a complete issue dedicated as a memorial with community posts. If you would like to add to that by sharing a memory, head on over to his forum for the magazine located at https://www.voy.com/247962/ and share a memory. You could even wait until it goes live and add to it after the fact. Submissions will be accepted for as long as people want to add to it. Then in July, the first normal issue is slated to go live on it's old schedule. I can't even find the words to describe how 'off' it feels building an issue without multiple emails and phone calls from the boss. It won't be exactly the same ever again but, much of IM's character came from our characters (Real and Imagined ::grin::) so, it will still be IMAGINE Magazine as Comicality wanted it to be, or as close as we can get to it anyway. There is only one Comicality after all...

Sorry for the ramble. Havenn't done an actual forum post in a long time so, I got a little carried away ::giggle::

Be well everyone!
Previous Topic: Coming out in 1980s NYC
Next Topic: Support for Comicality's Mother!
Goto Forum: